Sunday, July 18, 2010

Paulo Coelho and Melpomene

Last night (rather, the night before last) I dreamt of being in Paulo Coelho's house.  He and I were visiting and discussing many things.  He invited me to walk out into his garden with him - he wanted to show me something.  As we walked through his yard, he told me to be careful where I walked.  On either side of the winding path were neat little piles - as if someone had carefully upended a bucket as one would release a jell-o/pudding mold - of dog poop.  He told me that while these piles we passed may look like pretty little markers, I should remember of what they are made and avoid stepping in them.  We reached his garden shed at the back of his yard.  He opened the door to the shed and handed me a photo of young lady - dark haired and very beautiful.  I recognized her immediately as Melpomene, and whispered her name.  He was pleased that I recognized her.  He had mentioned her several times in his books, I said,  and I remembered that he had once mentioned making love to her a very long time ago and that he had called her his first love.  Yes, he said, she was.  And he gave the photo to me as a gift to remember.

No comments: