Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Exhaust in the Garage

Last night I dreamt that I had pulled my minivan into the garage and had just shut the garage door when a friend of my husband's (a singer from an old band of his) ran up to my window to visit.  I rolled down the window and turned off the ignition to chat.  The engine would not turn off.  The friend reached through the window and took the keys out of the ignition thinking that would cut the engine.  It didn't.  We both remembered, then, that the garage door was shut.  Not a good thing, with the engine still running.  He ran to the garage door and tried to open it manually.  We were both getting foggy-headed and weak.  I remembered I needed the key in the ignition in order for the automatic garage door opener to work so I hollered for him to bring me the keys.  He did.  I was beginning to black out but trying to stay focused on getting the key in the ignition.

(I woke up here and got out of bed to ... ummm ... "attend to business".  When I returned to bed and to sleep the dream continued.)

I managed to get the key in the ignition and push the button on the automatic garage door opener before passing out.  My husband's friend had crawled to me, pulled me out of the minivan and dragged me outside to the fresh air.  As the clean air filled my lungs, I awoke - groggy but alive.

No comments: