Saturday, March 13, 2010

Desert Highway

Last night I dreamt I had parked my car on the side of a desert highway. I had crossed the road and was walking towards the restaurant on the other side. The maitre d' met me en route and presented me with a covered dish. Then he was gone. I tasted the food - Chinese food - and it was awful. I started walking back to the restaurant to return it when a parade of vehicles drove slowly past. It was a convoy for a professional wrestler who looked like the actor Mickey Rourke in a WWI era pilot hat. The announcer in the first vehicle proclaimed, "This ... is ... HE MAN!" as he drove by. Several cars creeped past with the Mickey Rourke-ish character in the middle. He waved and smiled with pomp. I placed my hand on my heart and lowered my eyes respectfully, as if I were seeing a funeral procession, as they passed by. Once they had moved on, I set my plate of uneaten food on the ground, covered it with a linen table cloth and crossed the road back to my car.

No comments: